Monday 7 July 2014

WORK EXPERIENCE ROUND 1

Having just finished my first year as a Public Relations student, I was eager to gain some real work experience this summer. As I am doing an industry-based degree, my lecturers could not stress enough how important work experience is. Building up your CV so that you look employable by the end of third year is crucial. A jam-packed resumé not only looks impressive, but will also make you stand out against other job seekers when applying for those savvy PR jobs that everybody wants.

I managed to secure a weeks work experience placement with BCS Agency- a Nottingham-based PR firm with a whole host of clients- Topps Tiles, Häfele UK, Stop the FOBTs (just to name a few).
My first day was nerve-wracking to say the least. It's such an overwhelming experience being thrown into PR when you've spent a year simply studying the profession, and not working in it. But I was with a good agency who took brilliant care of me, and made me feel right at home from the get go.

My first day was very basic as I was being introduced to my surroundings and getting to know the team. Most of the work I completed over the week was research based- which included helping my fellow co-workers out with research for articles, press releases and social media. This was something I love doing anyway, throw me into a research task and I will happily trawl through the internet gathering millions of sources and displaying them in a pretty format on Microsoft Word. No problem. On the first day I sat at my very own desk, devouring my list of mini projects to do over the week and drinking endless cups of tea (which were MADE FOR ME. Can you believe I actually didn't have to just make cups of tea for people all week? Brilliant!) I had a swell first day and I felt positive for the rest of the week.

I suppose you think that because I am starting a next paragraph I am probably going to section off each day with endless minor details and bore you all to death (don't worry, I will definitely not do that!) Instead I will just say that I had a fabulous time at BCS agency, the people were wonderful and so helpful to the annoying 19 year old PR student (me). I got to learn tremendous things which I will cherish and apply drastically to my degree. I also learnt so many valuable PR skills (such as writing Twitter and Facebook schedules, assisting and briefing a photoshoot, the importance of clients and contacts, using Gorkana and writing the perfect press release to name a few...).

We ended the week with a well-earned alcoholic beverage and a toast to my future (which guiltily made me tear up a little...I have no shame...)

Next stop- my two month internship with an amazing leather accessories company. (Its probably too early to name names but I will be their 'Fashion Promotions & Marketing assistant' for the next 2 months.) This is one of the best jobs I have ever been offered and I simply cannot wait for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment