Friday 2 January 2015

THE FASHION INDUSTRY VS. MEADHAM KIRCHHOFF

In late December, Twitter and blogs went into meltdown over the supposed news that the quirky and extravagant fashion house of Meadham Kirchhoff was shutting its doors due to lack of financial support. The news appeared in an interview where Edward Meadham and Benjamin Kirchhoff told Style.com that they are struggling to find sponsorship to help fund their catwalk shows for Fashion Week. As a huge fan of the brand, it pains me to hear news like this, and it is certainly making me question that if the fashion industry cannot support conceptual brands like Meadham Kirchhoff, is there even a point in art and creativity within the industry anymore?


Whilst the death of the designer duo brand is not imminent, the end definitely feels nigh. Despite a huge army of fans from all around the world, and a Topshop collaboration that sold out in minutes, the pair have always said that they struggle with the fast pace of the industry, and find it hard to keep up with drastic orders from department stores and boutiques. 

With the instagram and twitter-sphere booming, the demand for rapid fashion has increased tremendously. If its not hanging off the racks the second the last model walks down the runway, buyers just ain't interested. Waiting around for the next season of clothing to drop rarely happens anymore. The industry has quickened, and its leaving behind art, creativity, and conceptualism. Its leaving behind Meadham Kirchhoff.

I have been in love with the Meadham Kirchhoff creations for as long as I can remember. The duo have greatly inspired my admiration for nostalgia, ingenue, and kawaii fashion, and they have also opened my mind to dressing differently and not complying with what society tells you to wear. They were the inspirations behind my A Level Textiles pieces (for which I achieved an A), and they have given me the most perfect pieces of clothing which I will treasure forever (from my cherry print shirt, to my gold pentagon heels and my orange mongolian monster face knitwear). So if the designer duo were to shut down, I would indeed be greatly saddened, but the pieces they have given me are timelessly demiugic, so shall stay with me forever.





Long live MK! <3



No comments:

Post a Comment