Wednesday 12 November 2014

ALEXANDER WANG X H&M LAUNCH: MY REVIEW


After reading an excessive amount of blog posts and articles online, I think it's very safe to say the Alexander Wang x H&M launch is possibly one of the most highly publicised and anticipated collaborations a high street store has ever done with a designer.

The designs were depicted as being a futuristic touch on neoprene and leather. From evening dresses to gym-wear, this collaboration combines both modernism and traditional monochrome garments that practically go with anything in your wardrobe. In an ideal world making a purchase from the collection would be completely simple, but we all know that wouldn't ever happen.

...And I think it's safe to say I was right. Conveniently I was very fortunate to be in London on the day of the launch, but I wouldn't be able to get to the Oxford Street store until around 5PM. I wasn't expecting much clothing to be left, but nothing really prepared me for how little there would be available. 

The first thing I found slightly bizarre was that the collaboration was placed on the top floor of the shop (baring in mind that the H&M on Oxford Street has FIVE floors). Upon entering the store I was a little confused as to where the collection was even placed. After wondering around every single section of H&M for about 20 minutes, I finally reached the top floor to a dazzle of flashing lights and a stack of matte black hangers (with very little clothing hanging off them). There was also pumping music and a small crowd of people hastily grabbing clothing in a desperation to purchase something. Shoe boxes were being tossed around in the attempt to see whose feet could squeeze into a pair of size 3 leather sliders, and were then being thrown back to the shop assistants if they didn't. I think it's safe to say it was absolute mayhem. And to reiterate, this was at FIVE O'CLOCK at night.

I hastily started to search for any items left that I could potentially see myself in, but unless you count a pair of leather slacks, there wasn't really anything left that is both wearable and affordable. Saying this though, I was incredibly impressed by the quality of the clothes considering how it was a high street collaboration.  The leather used for the trousers felt incredibly sturdy, and the gym tops were a high-tech breathable fabric that absorbs moisture, which is quite impressive considering they only cost £25. 

So all in all what was my opinion? I have to admit that I did enjoy being able to see the clothes up in person, and if it wasn't for the fact that I couldn't get to Oxford St. before 5PM, I would have love to have gone earlier and at least tried to purchase the 'WANG' jumper or crop top. But saying this, collaborations come and go, I'm sure there will be another one in a couple of months that will knock the Alexander Wang collaboration out the park, so until then enjoy your gym wear, leather and neoprene essentials, I am sure you will look fabulous in them.


No comments:

Post a Comment